How to light Regular Charcoal Briquets
Method One: Pyramid Method
- Arrange briquets in a pyramid. Follow lighter fluid container directions. Open all grill vents and leave grill uncovered.
- Light pyramid of briquets in several places.
- In approximately 10 minutes, or when briquets are predominately ashed over, spread briquets evenly. Wait 5 minutes and begin cooking.
Method Two: Charcoal Chimney
- Turn charcoal chimney upside down, crumple 2-3 full sheets of newspaper and place in the bottom of the chimney.
- Turn chimney right side up and place on charcoal grate of grill.
- Add appropriate amount of charcoal but do not over fill. Light newspaper with a match/lighter using the bottom air vents to access the crumpled newspaper.
- When the top layer of charcoal is predominately gray, carefully lift the chimney by the handle, using bbq mitts and empty charcoal onto the charcoal grate inside of the grill.
How to light Instant Charcoal Briquets
- Arrange no more than 3 lbs into a pyramid. Refer to grill manufacturer’s specifications and quantities. Open all grill vents, and leave grill uncovered.
- Light pile of briquets immediately in several places. Do not use lighter fluid, gasoline, electric starter, or chimney style starter. DO NOT COVER GRILL UNTIL READY TO COOK. Stand back after lighting.
- In approximately 10 minutes, or when pile is predominately ashed over, spread briquets evenly. Wait 5 minutes and begin cooking.
How to light Lump Charcoal
Method One: Pyramid Method
- Arrange All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal in a pile. Sprinkle with Lighter Fluid.
- Wait one minute for the fluid to soak in. Light the pile in several places.
- Wait 10-15 minutes or until natural wood is ashed over. Spread charcoal before barbecuing.
Method Two: Natural Method
- Open air vents on grill. Tightly crumble or twist 3-4 newspaper sheets and place on bottom of grill below bottom grate.
- Place natural wood charcoal on top of grate. Leave at least 1 to 2 inches of air space between paper and charcoal.
- Ignite paper. When coals are ashed over, begin cooking (10 to 15 minutes). Add more Royal Oak 100% Natural Wood Charcoal as needed.
How to use Charcoal Lighter Fluid
- Arrange charcoal in a pyramid in center of grill.
- Open cap by prying where indicated.
- Squeeze 1.6 fluid ounces (47ml) of lighter fluid per pound of charcoal evenly on pile. Close cap pressing firmly until it snaps and locks.
- Light pile immediately.
- In approximately 10 minutes or when pile is predominantly ashed over, spread briquets evenly. Wait 5 minutes and begin cooking.
Whether you're grilling with charcoal briquets or lump charcoal, getting your grill lit and ready to cook is easier than you think.
Watch More Videos